IEPNG is the professional body which represents professional engineers from all engineering disciplines in Papua New Guinea. The terms "engineering profession" and "professional engineer/engineering" are used by the Institution in the broadest possible way, to include all those who use a systematic process of analysis, design/synthesis and implementation, strive to operate in a responsible way, are governed by a code of ethics set by their peers, and engage in continuing professional development to maintain the currency of their competence.
The terms adopted do not specify how such skills are achieved, and thus IEPNG seeks to include people from widely varying educational backgrounds.
IEPNG provides services for about 1,400 members, who are classified into various membership classes according to their levels of education and extent of experience in engineering practice. The Institution embarked to set internationally bench-marked qualifying standards for degree qualifications in engineering and thus serves engineers by securing formal recognition for their professional standing by working with relevent organisations in Papua New Guinea and networking with organisations abroad.
IEPNG assesses foreign qualifications, encourages and assists continuing professional development through the four (4) year Graduate Professional Development Program (GPDP). IEPNG provides a widening range of membership services including in house short courses. It also represents engineers' interests with government and provides contact with other professionals through Branches and Chapters. IEPNG promotes public debate on engineering issues in the community, and seeks to contribute, on behalf of the engineering profession, to the resolution of issues affecting the wider community.
IEPNG is governed by an elected Board, chaired by the President and eight other members. This Board sets strategy and employs the Chief Executive Officer, who manages the day to day operations of the Institution to provide services to members and to fund activities as defined by the Corporate Plan.
The Institution is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life of the people of Papua New Guinea by the responsible and creative application of engineering.
Mission to the Community
The Institution's Mission to the community is as follows:
- Advance the practice of engineering in the interests of the safety, well-being, and the quality of life of members of the community.
- Promote an engineering management and practice style that will ensure sustainable development of the environment.
- Assure the community of the quality of the engineering profession by a continuous process of accreditation of qualifications and monitoring the competency standards of the profession
Mission to the Members
The Institution's Mission to its members is as follows:
- Determine and encourage high technical and ethical standards
- Sustain standards with ethics and discipline
- Encourage innovative solutions
- Facilitate the acquisition and sharing of knowledge
- Represent their interests
Refer to the following for more information:
- Institution Constitution
- Professional Engineers Registration Act
- Corporate Strategic Plan 2012-2022 (currently being reviewed)