This membership category is for all engineers who have had 4 or more years of experience and graduated from a recognised university in a field of engineering. The engineer shall gain membership after satisfying requirements for the Competency Based Assessment (CBA).
The CBA also provides an alternate route to becoming a member where the individual has had more than ten years of engineering practice and be employed in responsible positions of engineering and demonstrate a good engineering education.
Joining the Institution of Engineers Papua New Guinea (IEPNG) as a Member gives you recognition as a Professional Engineer. The Institution encourages Members to register and participate in activities such as seminars, workshops and conferences that are organised to help the graduate in their academic pursuits for excellence. It is a requirement under the Professional Engineers Act that Professional Engineers MUST be registered to be involved in any engineering works.
The process of admission to Member status of the Papua New Guinea Institution of Engineers shall satisfy the following criteria:
- Disregarding temporary circumstances, the person shall be engaged at the time of election or transfer in a position of responsibility in the practice of engineering or in management associated with engineering.
- The person shall possess one of the following qualifications.
- A Washington Accord degree or equivalent from an educational institution approved by the Board .
- The Board may approve such other degree as acceptable.
- A pass in any examination, or other exempting qualification approved by the Board.
- In accordance with the Regulations for the alternative route to membership, the person shall have completed engineering formation of typically ten (10) years in activity at a professional level and shall have been employed in responsible positions of engineering, and shall demonstrate a good engineering education and adequate experience.
- The person shall have had such practical training or experience as will satisfy the requirements of the Regulations.
- He shall have successfully undertaken the Competency Based Assessment as prescribed in the Regulations unless exempted by the Board.
- The candidate MUST when accepted be Registered as a Professional Engineer on the Professional Engineers Register with the Professional Engineers Registration Board of Papua New Guinea.
The progression pathway is as follows:
Student Member ----> Graduate Member (4years after graduating and working & undertaken GPDP) ----> Member ---> Fellow
Being a technician member of the IEPNG provides you with the following:
- Access to all annual reports and journals
- Accrediation of qualifications per Accords
To be eligible to apply to be a Member, you have to meet the following criterias to a minimum:
- Hold a qualification recognised by the Institution
- Gone through GPDP or similar program
How to Register
If you would like to be a member of IEPNG, below are the requirements and the general process for registration:
It is a requirement by the Professional Engineers Registration Act that a engineering professional MUST be registered and be a Member of IEPNG in order to practice engineering in Papua New Guinea.
To apply to become a Member, fill in the application form, and send it to IEPNG with the required application and Membership fees.